Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Cat Update

I thought I should update people on the status of the cats...

We still need homes for a bunch of them. I have three kittens who are very friendly and playful. I need to find homes for them before I get too attached.

I have tamed another feral. His name is Chance. (My daughter calls him "Booger" due to a constant sinus infection.) He was originally brought in because he appeared to have a broken paw and winter was starting. (The paw turned out to be a bad sprain. It is healed now.) I was finally able to get him willing to be petted and groomed.

Chance's sibling is called "Curley". (Because he has a tail that is a spiral.) I am very close to getting him tamed. It will take a week or two more before he is actually tamed. He will take food from my hand and sit on my lap, but won't let me pet him.

A note on ferals. Every feral has a desire that will allow you to tame him/her. For one cat it was melted vanilla ice cream. For another it was double-hand back scritches. Chance was a combination of things. You just have to find out what makes them tick and what will gain their trust. And playing with them helps. They are more likely to trust you if you are seen as a playmate instead of a threat.

As for Marigold... I am keeping him. He is a special cat and I am too fond of him to let him go.

More pictures soon.

No comments: